Although we are representing your mortgage lender, we very much want to help you.  For legal reasons, we can’t give you any advice ourselves but we can put you in touch with people who can.  In all cases where you have not had contact with your lender yet for whatever reason we would recommend that you use the contact numbers on our letter to discuss this matter as soon as possible.

Mortgage Help Schemes
These are government backed schemes to help people facing repossession.  They will not apply to everybody but they are worth investigating.  The schemes involve local authorities working in conjunction with Registered Social Landlords to either provide equity loans or buy the property from you and then rent it back to you at a rent below the market rate.  Either of these solutions would avoid homelessness. Find out more below.

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) Payments (England, Wales & Scotland)
Homeowners in receipt of certain benefits may be entitled to financial help towards mortgage interest and interest for loans used to home improvements or repairs.  This scheme is run by the UK Government.  Visit to find out more.

Assisted Voluntary Sale (AVS)
Some but not all lenders will allow you to sell the property with their support and assistance without possession proceedings being taken even though the arrears may increase during the sale period.  Before selling your property voluntarily you should get advice as you may have other options.